Thursday, April 21, 2011

Architecture Preview

Burj Al Arab
1. Architect: Atkins
2. When was it built? 1994
3. Location: Dubai, UAE
4. It is a luxury hotel.
5. $650 million to build.
6. It was built to resemble the sail of a dhow.
7. I picked this building because even though it's a hotel it doesn't look like it. I like how it was built on a little island. I also like the way it lights up at night. It's cool how the building is built to resemble a sail boat. The fact that the building is in Dubai interested me the most.

Cubic Houses
1. Architect: Piet Blom
2. Built in 1984
3. Location: Rotterdam, Nertherlands
4. These are private homes.
5. $30 million to build.
6. Built for show and of course for people to rent out or buy.
7. I picked this building because It's very modern and unique. It makes me wonder what it looks like inside because of the way the cubic houses were built. I like how they are actual houses that you can live in and not just buildings to look at.
Nord LB building
1. Architect: Behnisch, Behnisch & Partner
 2. Built in 2002
3. Location: Hannover, Germany
4. Made to house the staff of the bank.
5. Cost to build: $30 million
6. The building was designed to suit the eco-friendly environment reducing carbon dioxide emissions and optimizing the use of natural daylight.
7. I picked this building because it looks like it's going to collapse. The building is very strange. The way it was built looks like legos stacked on top of each other. It's very random.

Habitat 67
1. Architect: Moshe Safdie
2. Built in 1967.
3. Montreal, Canada
4. Private homes.
5. Cost to build: $22,195,920
6. It's a housing complex.
7. I liked how the each housing complex looks like its stacked on top of another one. It's very hard to look at and I like how is gives me a headache. This architect looks like it was hard to build. It must have took forever.


Eden Project
1. Architect: Nicholas Grimshaw
2. Built in 2001
3. Location: United Kingdom
4. Open to the public
5. Cost to build: 86 million
6. It's the world's largest greenhouse.
7. I picked the Eden Project because it's a humongous greenhouse. I'd actually like to visit it someday and see all the pretty flowers. I wanna see all the different kinds of plants that have been planted there.

No comments:

Post a Comment